[Nickle] About arrays and things

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Wed Jul 2 14:01:31 PDT 2003

On Jun 30, Bart Massey wrote:
 >     A fixed array is defined using integer subscript or
 >     the new array operator [...].  Growable arrays are
 >     defined using the array operator [*] as above.  (Yes,
 >     this is completely wrong-headed: * should be fixed and
 >     ... should be variable---bug Keith about fixing it.)

Keith, consider yourself bugged.

I agree that [...] should be the syntax for a growable array.

It's not as obvious to me what the syntax should be for an array of
fixed but unspecified length. Since a fixed array of specified length
is specified with a numeric subscript, perhaps [#] could be
used. Oh, but nickle already has # as a comment character and a
top-level command. Hmm...

-Carl