[Nickle] Growable arrays, sort of

Carl Worth cworth at east.isi.edu
Wed Jul 2 11:11:04 PDT 2003

On Jun 29, Keith Packard wrote:
 > int[*] is a one-dimensional array of indeterminant length.
 > int[] is an array of indeterminant dimensions, each of indeterminant
 > length:

For what it's worth, I've always found this syntax
confusing. Reversing the two might help.

int[] looks to me like a one-dimensional array with the length
missing. Nice and clean syntax, not much going on.

The case of an "array of indeterminant dimensions" has more going
on. The '*' in int[*] would seem a nice stand-in for an arbitrary
number of bracket pairs.

-Carl