[Fontconfig] font matching doesn't work for me

Tomasz Grobelny grotk at poczta.onet.pl
Sat Jul 19 21:43:00 PDT 2003

On sob 19. lipca 2003 19:59, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 1 o'clock on Jul 18, Tomasz Grobelny wrote:
> > But the output is (for "Times"):
> > /usr/share/fonts/75dpi/timR24.pcf.gz
> > so it is a non scalable, non outline font (I was requesting quite the
> > opposite). Why is that so?
>
> Because the family match is "more important" than the scalable match --
> applications which explicitly ask for 'Times' are going to get it if you
> have it.  The alternative is quite confusing when selecting font families
> from an application menu (ask for Times, get Times New Roman).

But in the application menu only scalable font should be shown (ex. word
processor).

> To make the system never provide 'Times', you need to remove it from
> consideration entirely.
No, I want only my app to use vector fonts. Everything else should remain
untouched.

> Yes, this is a kludge, and perhaps we should (instead) have a way to
> eliminate fonts based on their characteristics instead.  Syntax and
> semantics suggestions for that would be welcome.

What about a possbility to provide parametrical match. The developer could
provide priority for each font property (the order of font properties should
be necessary). For example if I want only scalable fonts I would place
FC_SCALABLE in the first place and then the rest (family, weight, slant,
etc.).

Tomek