[Fontconfig] font matching doesn't work for me

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Jul 19 13:17:11 PDT 2003

Around 20 o'clock on Jul 19, Tomasz Grobelny wrote:

> But in the application menu only scalable font should be shown (ex. word
> processor).

Why is that?  While some of us would never again consider using bitmap
fonts on the screen, there are still people who prefer them in some
applications, especially applications which are presenting information that
isn't intended for printing (mail readers, terminal emulators, web browers).

If your application wants to display only scalable fonts in it's menu,
then the fontconfig listing functions can be directed to supply only
scalable names.

> No, I want only my app to use vector fonts. Everything else should remain
> untouched.

Then we need to find a way to have your application ask for scalable
fonts; in particular, if it asks for Times, it's going to get Times with
the current architecture.  Is there some particular reason you want to use
this family name?

> What about a possbility to provide parametrical match. The developer could
> provide priority for each font property (the order of font properties
> should be necessary).

The match is already ordered, but the priority order is fixed within the
library.  I'd like to avoid further complexity in the library interface if
possible; perhaps you can explain how your application managed to get the
'Times' name in the first place so we can figure out a way to get the
desired result.