[Fontconfig] font matching doesn't work for me

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Jul 19 11:59:03 PDT 2003

Around 1 o'clock on Jul 18, Tomasz Grobelny wrote:

> But the output is (for "Times"):
> /usr/share/fonts/75dpi/timR24.pcf.gz
> so it is a non scalable, non outline font (I was requesting quite the
> opposite). Why is that so?

Because the family match is "more important" than the scalable match --
applications which explicitly ask for 'Times' are going to get it if you
have it.  The alternative is quite confusing when selecting font families
from an application menu (ask for Times, get Times New Roman).

To make the system never provide 'Times', you need to remove it from
consideration entirely.  With fontconfig 2.2, you have to change the font
path to not include the directories full of bitmap fonts.  With current
CVS, you can exclude files based on filename patterns:

<selectfont>
  <rejectfont>
    <glob>/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts/misc*</glob>
    <glob>*.pcf*</glob>
    <glob>*.bdf*</glob>
  </rejectfont>
</selectfont>

Yes, this is a kludge, and perhaps we should (instead) have a way to
eliminate fonts based on their characteristics instead.  Syntax and
semantics suggestions for that would be welcome.