[Calypso] calypso projecet organization

Jelmer Vernooij jelmer at jelmer.uk
Sun Jan 31 07:12:56 PST 2016

On Sun, Jan 31, 2016 at 12:14:29PM +0100, Petter Reinholdtsen wrote:
> [Chrysn]
> > * committ access: it seems to have become common practice for even
> >   people who do have commit access (right now, that'd the alioth project
> >   members guido, jelmer, keith and myself) send their patches to the
> >   list, and if there is a LGTM / +1 from someone else and no "let's
> >   discuss" / -1 from anyone, it gets pushed to alioth/master.
> >
> >   this seems like a good workflow to me, especially as pushing something
> >   to master doesn't mean it stays there irrevocably / until the next
> >   release, but gives a good flow of changes in general.
>
> Given the number of contributors and the amount of spare time each seem
> to have available to spend on calypso, I suspect this workflow is a
> mistake.  Expecting everyone to stop up and ask for review every time
> they have create and complete an improvement to calypso is going to slow
> down the development pace at a time when it is important to nurture the
> enthusiasm and energy spent on calypso.  I believe direct commits with
> commit emails sent to the public for post-commit reviews and a slowly
> improving test suite to verify the correctness of the program is a but
> better approach to make sure those few interested in fixing calypso can
> keep "in the flow" for longer periods of time instead of having that
> "flow" interrupted while waiting for reviews.
>
> So I would suggest to drop the patch review process on the mailing list,
> allow the core developers (the current project admins, perhaps?) to
> commit directly and make sure all commits result in an email to a
> commits mailing list.

I would like to keep the review system. It's quite lightweight, and
it's no more efficient (rather less, if you assume some patches are
going to have to be rolled back) if you're going to rely on post-push
reviews.

With git, there shouldn't be anything blocking developers from
creating changes that build on top of each other before the earlier
changes have landed.

Cheers,

Jelmer