[Calypso] calypso projecet organization

Petter Reinholdtsen pere at hungry.com
Sun Jan 31 03:14:29 PST 2016

[Chrysn]
> * committ access: it seems to have become common practice for even
>   people who do have commit access (right now, that'd the alioth project
>   members guido, jelmer, keith and myself) send their patches to the
>   list, and if there is a LGTM / +1 from someone else and no "let's
>   discuss" / -1 from anyone, it gets pushed to alioth/master.
>
>   this seems like a good workflow to me, especially as pushing something
>   to master doesn't mean it stays there irrevocably / until the next
>   release, but gives a good flow of changes in general.

Given the number of contributors and the amount of spare time each seem
to have available to spend on calypso, I suspect this workflow is a
mistake.  Expecting everyone to stop up and ask for review every time
they have create and complete an improvement to calypso is going to slow
down the development pace at a time when it is important to nurture the
enthusiasm and energy spent on calypso.  I believe direct commits with
commit emails sent to the public for post-commit reviews and a slowly
improving test suite to verify the correctness of the program is a but
better approach to make sure those few interested in fixing calypso can
keep "in the flow" for longer periods of time instead of having that
"flow" interrupted while waiting for reviews.

So I would suggest to drop the patch review process on the mailing list,
allow the core developers (the current project admins, perhaps?) to
commit directly and make sure all commits result in an email to a
commits mailing list.

> * issue tracking: so far, most recent issues are directly addressed by
>   patches on the mailing list, that's imo harder to keep in overview
>   than a proper issue tracker. as things are, options are keeping all
>   issues on this list, opening an alioth tracker or using the debian bts
>   as if calypso were a native package (which i'd prefer). what are your
>   views?

I believe the Debian BTS should be used, but it only make sense if the
Debian version and the alioth git version are close to each other.  This
is not the case at the moment, so I did not see the point in reporting
bugs to bts about issues on alioth.  After all, I have no idea if the
problem exist in the Debian version, which is two years old.  To fix
this, upload the current version to unstable. :)

--
Happy hacking
Petter Reinholdtsen