[Snek] Is EV3 port of Snek a good idea?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Thu Jan 23 22:35:34 PST 2020

"Mikhail Gusarov" <dottedmag at dottedmag.net> writes:

> Now I wonder whether it makes sense to make Snek run on it.

Ooo! Could be good fun!

> - It's got USB and Bluetooth, and fw already provides USB-CDC and
> Bluetooth PAN setup, so there is IP
>    networking.

> What's the best way to interact with running Snek in this environment? I
> can start it from UI, should it
> open a listening socket and wait for snekde to connect to it?

If it emulates a USB CDC ACM device, then you should be able to connect
it to a laptop and use mu (or snekde) with that. That would be pretty
simple, and avoid needing to configure the device a bunch.

Of course, figuring out how to get mu running over bluetooth would be
cool too. That way you wouldn't even need to plug it in.

Given that it's running a full Linux stack, I wonder if it could host a
web service running something like mu locally. That way, you wouldn't
need any software on the interface machine at all. But, re-creating mu
in some javascript web system also seems like a pretty big job.

I'd start by getting the POSIX version of Snek running, then exploring
how to customize that to add support for the input and output devices.