[Snek] Is EV3 port of Snek a good idea?

Mikhail Gusarov dottedmag at dottedmag.net
Thu Jan 23 13:36:52 PST 2020

Hi.

I've got Lego EV3 brick lying around
(https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lego_Mindstorms_EV3).

It's got enough hardware to run full Linux, but I haven't found a good
interactive development
environment that is not a dead-end for learning how to code.

Now I wonder whether it makes sense to make Snek run on it.

- it's got some hw configurability: sensors/motors can be plugged into
the ports, but the
   detection is pretty good, everything needed is available in /sys, so
the configuration of
   available sensors can be done on startup.

- It's got USB and Bluetooth, and fw already provides USB-CDC and
Bluetooth PAN setup, so there is IP
   networking.

- It's got LCD screen , so I suppose I could add several functions like
8-bit BASIC-era for text printing,
   for drawing dots and lines on the screen.

What's the best way to interact with running Snek in this environment? I
can start it from UI, should it
open a listening socket and wait for snekde to connect to it?

Best,
Misha.