[Nickle] Currency conversion (foreign function interface)

Bart Massey bart at po8.org
Mon Dec 6 07:56:37 PST 2004

Huh.  I thought the FFI plan was to be able to do some
extern "C" equivalent...

In the Nickle code, something like
  namespace Lib extern "libfoo" {
    extern string getfoo(string s, int n, *char cp);
    public string mygetfoo(string s, string t) {
      return getfoo(s, String::length(t) + 1, &t);
    }
  }
and then you can just load the appropriate name from
libfoo.so directly.  Only problem is that now you have to
make some chunk of the Nickle compiler understand handling C-style
arguments.  Some of the machinery is already there from the
builtin stuff.

Obviously, your plan is way less work to get started with.
It just depends on how many shared libraries we expect to
amortize the work over.

	Bart