[Fontconfig] No bitmap fonts in XFree86 4.3.0

Tony Houghton fontconfig@fontconfig.org
Tue May 27 19:43:47 PDT 2003

In <E19KhvN-0000mR-00@localhost>, Keith Packard wrote:

> Around 13 o'clock on May 27, Tony Houghton wrote:
>
> > How old would it have to be not to work? I've just deleted the files
> > from the Debian package (2.1.4) and verified with ldd that fc-cache is
> > using the libfreetype2 that came with XFree86 4.3, and rerun it with -f,
> > but it still isn't working.
>
> You deleted the working version and left the broken one.  XFree86 4.3
> includes ancient FreeType bits which should never be installed.
>
> Make sure you include:
>
> 	#define HasFontconfig           YES
> 	#define HasExpat                YES
> 	#define HasFreetype2            YES
>
> in your config/cf/host.def file before building X or you'll end up with
> whatever broken versions are left around in XFree86 CVS.

Aha, that's fixed it [1], thanks. The X11 libs must have been taking
precedence over the /usr/lib ones.

[1] Except I haven't bothered recompiling, I just deleted the installed
libraries and header files I didn't want. I take it it is safe to use
XFree86 4.3's libXft though? It seems OK so far...

--
TH * http://www.realh.co.uk