[Fontconfig] Fontconfig in Slackware 9

Internet user fontconfig@fontconfig.org
Tue, 13 May 2003 23:28:11 +0300

Hello,
I upgraded from Slackware 8.1 to 9.0 (following the instructions
provided by Slackware upgrade) After I finished, I upgraded my KDE
(primary GUI) to 3.1.1.and then to 3.1.1a. Now, Mozilla, Gftp and some
other Gnome applications (including Gnome itself) could not be started
at all. I checked the logs and I saw there was a problem with fonts that
could not be found. I upgraded my fontconfig to 2.2, and surprise, the
applications works. But the fonts on my screen are not well rendered and
in Koffice or other similar applications most of the fonts from a family
looks the same on the screen. Not mentionig that all the "courier type
fonts appear witha very large kening (large spaces between letters,
expanded) What sould I do? Do I have to install other font applications?
Where are many of my fonts from /usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts? I had a lot
and now I see just a few. How can I install Adobe type 1 fonts and to
have it displayed correctly using fontconfig? Why is Gnome related with
fontconfigand KDE could work without it (I could simply delete or move
/etc/fonts and I do not have the problem of displaying fonts, but
Mozilla and Gftp woun't work)

Could you guide me also to some documentation? (please, don't do ONLY
this.)

Thank you in advance
Cristian
Bucharest