[Fontconfig] Re: Fontconfig performance question.

Albert Chin fontconfig@fontconfig.org
Wed, 14 May 2003 22:08:08 -0500

On Tue, May 13, 2003 at 02:05:24PM +0200, Krzysztof Dabrowski wrote:
> Dnia wtorek 13 maj 2003 01:59 pm, Juliusz Chroboczek napisa??:
> > KD> Correct me, but the whole idea of the cache is to save it locally

> > KD> we are not saving fonts. We are saving a data-structure dump
> > KD> separaterly for each user in HIS home directory and by design it
> > KD> should not be available to anyone.
> >
> > Think about home directories mounted over NFS, then.
> >
> >                                         Juliusz
>
> what has NFS to do with the endianes? :) this could only be a problem if you
> mount your home dir on 2 different unixes and you expect them to have 100%
> compatible fontconfig implementation. We can just put a marker in the file
> header that will serve as OS indicator and if the cache-file is from other
> os, fontconfig can simply re-create it. It's not a problem.

Don't assume that there will be only *one* set of applications needing
to access the font cache file in the users home directory. Make it
robust enough to handle the cache file in the NFS-mounted home
directory on multiple systems running multiple applications at the
*same* time. Environments with X terminals probably do this all the
time.

--
albert chin (china@thewrittenword.com)