[Fontconfig] Nimbus Sans Condensed being selected over Nimbus Sans

Frank Murphy fontconfig@fontconfig.org
Thu, 1 May 2003 15:03:06 +0200

So I'm still trying to resolve the fact that "Nimbus Sans L:style=Regular
Condensed" is being selected over "Nimbus Sans L:style=Regular".

I've put the following in my .fonts.conf and run fc-cache -f:

<?xml version="1.0"?>
<!DOCTYPE fontconfig SYSTEM "fonts.dtd">
<fontconfig>
        <match target="pattern">
                <test qual="any" name="style">
                        <string>Regular Condensed</string>
                </test>
                <edit name="style" mode="assign">
                        <string>Regular</string>
                </edit>
        </match>
</fontconfig>

When I run abiword, any text that I type in the editor and select as Nimbus
Sans L selects the non-condensed (regular) version. However, all the gtk
widgets have the Condensed version.

I've tried running with FC_DEBUG=5, but I can't understand what I'm seeing. Is
this some situation where gtk is requesting "sans" and in the substitutions,
my overwrite of Regular Condensed is being lost?

I'm not sure what GTK is asking for here, and my problem also extends
thoughout KDE as well.

Thanks for any help,

Frank