[Fontconfig] fontconfig 2.1.91

Keith Packard fontconfig@fontconfig.org
Tue, 04 Mar 2003 09:22:26 -0800

Around 11 o'clock on Mar 4, Dan Egnor wrote:

> Eep.  What about everyone's favorite, misc-fixed?  I hate to have to
> tell users that they have to mess with their system configuration (or
> install a ~/.fonts.conf) to get the full complement of X11 fonts.

You can add the bitmap font directorys in /etc/fonts/local.conf; the
problem is that fontconfig doesn't have any way (at this point) to delete
font directories on a per-user basis.  Hmm.  Perhaps there should be a way.

> In what way are the bitmap fonts an annoyance?

We've got bitmaps for 'Times' and Helvetica as well as Fixed and when apps
ask for these by name, they get them.  And they're quite ugly.

-keith