[Fontconfig] Re: cross-compiling fontconfig

Nicholas Wourms nwourms at myrealbox.com
Mon Jun 16 21:34:01 PDT 2003

Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 15 o'clock on Jun 16, Nicholas Wourms wrote:
>

>>>but still run into problems during make and make install, when it tries to
>>>execute the (just built) fc-lang or fc-cache programs.
>>

>>Easy, all you have to do is setup an AM_CONDITIONAL case statement in
>>configure.ac to see if $build == $host.  If the test fails, then do not
>>run the conditionalized portions of the respective Makefile.am's.
>

> The fc-lang (and new fc-glyphname) programs must be run as a part of the
> build process and so must be compiled with the native compiler rather than
> the cross compiler.
>
> I have no idea what is needed to fix the automake files to make all of
> this happen; I'll have to fix it at some point, and help would be
> appreciated...

Ok, I know what to do in that case.  I'll fix up something and submit it
later on.  But to explain, there exists an add on macro which obtains
the native compiler and defines it.  The macro I speak of is this one:

http://ac-archive.sourceforge.net/Cross_Compilation/ac_prog_cc_for_build.html

Breifly looking at the source, it seems like the two programs do not
depend on any other libraries than libc, so this should be rather simple
to set up.  Again, we will use an AM_CONDITIONAL to determine the
compiling and installation steps.

BTW, I should have one patch pending which fixes some Cygwin-related
stuff and resurrects fontconfig-config.  Did you get it?  I think it is
still trapped in the post-waiting-to-be-approved-or-rejected queue of
the list admin.

Cheers,
Nicholas