[Fontconfig] Strange behaviour with fixed pitch

Keith Packard fontconfig@fontconfig.org
Sun, 16 Feb 2003 17:00:34 -0800

Around 18 o'clock on Feb 15, Alan Chandler wrote:

> I need to find how the "font patterns" are set up from the fonts. Can someone
> explain how this works? [In broad terms only, I can delve into the right bit
> of code one I find it]

Fontconfig uses Freetype2 to extract information from font files.  Family
names are the hardest to locate, so fontconfig does quite a bit of work to
find something usable.  That code all lives in fcfreetype.c and you can
watch it in action by enabling debugging of the font scanning logic
(export FC_DEBUG=384) before running 'fc-cache -v -f .' in the directory
containing the relevant fonts.

-keith