[Fontconfig] Cyrillic monospace problem

Keith Packard fontconfig@fontconfig.org
Wed, 30 Apr 2003 09:32:47 -0700

Around 8 o'clock on Apr 30, Stefan Baums wrote:

> All I have is /etc/fonts/fonts.conf and /etc/fonts/local.conf, and they are
> untouched.  Isn't it more likely that this is something to do with KDE,
> seeing that GNOME applications get it right on my system?

This problem clearly has something to do with the difference between
patterns presented by KDE and those presented by Gnome, but fontconfig
should be able to get the right answer in both cases unless the KDE
application is sending something wrong to the library.  Let's try to get
that information out of the application:

	$ FC_DEBUG=5 kedit

should show both the original pattern presented by the application and the
edits applied by the configuration before matching occurs.  That'll tell
whether KDE is doing something unexpected or whether the Debian fontconfig
package has some 'improvements' which generate the wrong result in this
case.

-keith