[Fontconfig] Too much bold

Ciprian Popovici fontconfig@fontconfig.org
Wed, 9 Apr 2003 00:28:58 +0300

Hello everybody,

I've noticed that, although the "weight" property for the font
configuration is supposed to have 5 levels of bold, only 2 can actually
be used, on my system at least. There is a threshold around 160 weight
value which simply divides"no bold" and "bold".

That wouldn't be a problem, except the bold I get is too heavy and it
makes some fonts difficult to read at small sizes. Can something be done
to get a more fine-grained setup for weight? Does everyone get only 2
levels instead of 5 or it's just my setup that does that? In case I'm
stuck with these two levels, can I somehow "lighten up" the bold
rendering (source hacking, anything)?

I use fontconfig and xft 2.1, compiled from sources.

--
Ciprian Popovici