[Calypso] creating a calendar

chrysn chrysn at fsfe.org
Wed Feb 3 15:27:54 PST 2016

hello calypso people,

i might be missing something trivial, but i actually do wonder how
creation of a new calendar should go about.

when i follow the instructions in the README and then open up davdroid
on it, /private/test presents itself as an address book. sure, were i to
open /provate/test in a client that does not rely on auto-discovery that
much, things would work out, but not with davdroid.

(i'm not sure whether it would detect the type correctly if items were
to be present, but we can't assume that to be the case for new setups).

my patch queue contains patches that (in a first patch) only report
D:resourcetype C:calendar or A:addressbook (and not both) when davdroid
detects a particular use case, and (in a second patch) adds support for
per-collection .calypso-collection config files that allow setting that
behavior.

(those files are, in later patches, also used for configurable
permissions, but one step at a time).

i'm unsure whether to think of this as a practical lightweight
configuration or a terrible mixture of configuration and data -- but the
issue of deciding what is what (and sooner or later other metadata) will
need to be addressed.

what's your opinion -- how can we reasonably store such metadata, or can
we get along without any at all?

best regards
chrysn

  -- Bene Gesserit axiom