[Snek] Here is my nix derivation (updated for Snek 1.9)

Anthony Carrico acarrico at memebeam.org
Mon Jan 29 18:00:12 PST 2024

On 1/25/24 13:59, Keith Packard wrote:
> Do you want this incorporated into the snek repository?

I do declare it to be in the public domain, so you are free to
distribute it. One issue with distributing packaging within the
distribution is the hash:

$ nix-prefetch-url https://sneklang.org/dist/snek-1.9.zip
path is '/nix/store/m4hdzdifmpckr2hgpnh6pl9xvwhd3wz8-snek-1.9.zip'
0p66c2pwhlc7gpda71996xxxjmgqwh6fpq85jzjxy6mxcxp1w70n

That is the hash I used, but obviously it would present a chicken and
egg problem to include it in the distribution.

 > On the main branch or on a nix-specific branch (debian packaging
 > lives on a separate branch, fwiw).

If you were interested in getting snek into the official collection, the
best place would be a fork of nixpkgs with an eye toward merging, and a
less quick-and-dirty approach building from your source distribution.
I'm not sure how much trouble that would be, like if you are doing cross
compiling for the targets.

My package isn't doing anything except copying the files and automatic
path rewriting:

$ head `which snekde`
#!/nix/store/nwjcx1m8w64pd91fzm0q858y8m2wjiyg-python3-3.10.12-env/bin/python3
#
# Copyright © 2019–2020 Keith Packard <keithp at keithp.com>

--
Anthony Carrico