[Picolibc] Integrating Picolibc into a GCC toolchain

R. Diez rdiezmail-newlib at yahoo.de
Thu Mar 17 12:25:08 PDT 2022

> [...]
> Hah! You're just ahead of meson here -- they've recently added the
> 'meson env2mfile' command which generates a cross file from a command
> line and set of environment variables.

Not really surprising. I had a feeling that your choice of build system would make me waste a sizeable amount of time, and there you go. 8-)

This env2mfile command seems weird though. Meson generating a configuration file for Meson.

I bet that, at some point in time, even the Meson guys will realise that "meson setup CFLAGS_FOR_TARGET=xxx" is the way to go, like other half-sane build systems (there are no sane ones).

> Your script still seems more complete as it lets you specify c_ld as well as the compiler.
> [...]

Of course. My script is the best. No doubt.

Anyway, I implemented all of your suggestions and my script is now at version 1.05. The one in Picolibc is still 1.02.

Do you want to upgrade GeneratePicolibcCrossFile.sh? Or would you rather migrate to env2mfile? I don't really mind.

I just don't want to maintain a separate copy in my project, so I will be removing it soon from my JtagDue repository. After all, the aim was for Picolibc to provide a standard interface, so my Toolchain makefile will be using whatever Picolibc provides.

Regards,
   rdiez