[Snek] EV3: network server?

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Feb 22 16:21:50 PST 2020

"Mikhail Gusarov" <dottedmag at dottedmag.net> writes:

> Any comments? Maybe there is a simpler way to get to the same result?

Sounds like you're on the right track; you want SaaS (Snek as a Service
:-) on the device. If you want to make it more like other Snek devices,
then Snek would start at power-up and run a saved program.

My only concern would be security; connected to the network, it will be
more vulnerable than a USB connection.

You *could* add SSL support with mutual-authentication, but that seems
like a configuration headache. Alternatively, have Snek listen on a
local port and connect to that with either ssh port forwarding or ssh
running 'nc' on the EV3. That seems like an ugly kludge though.

I don't have any great security ideas; it seems sub-optimal to provide
no security though?

> P.S: EV3 runs Avahi, so I can put a config file there to broadcast EV3
> address via mDNS.
> Snekde/mu can get address of EV3 in the network without further
> configuration.

Oh, that's cool! Can the user name the device in case there are more
than one?