[Rockets] February 9 Wilsonville Memorial Park Launch Report

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Feb 10 01:50:55 PST 2013

We had a great time flying today; a bit misty, but not actually
raining. And the winds were so calm that the smoke from each launch hung
around the pads for a long time.

        Launches:               64
        Successful flights:     62
        Flyers:                 17

A bunch of people showed up before 12:00 to help haul equipment and set
up the site, which was greatly appreciated and got us ready to fly in
short order. Bob brought some cookies to share which everyone enjoyed.

We flew steadily from noon right up until 3:00. With the light winds, we
thought we'd be free from the trees, but there was just enough wind
aloft to carry airframes over the trees about 40' behind the pads. As a
result, we decorated those with a number of airframes. Bob fetched a
pole and ladder to help get some of them down.

Joe flew his helicopter-recovery airframe several times with MicroPeak
aboard to capture flight logs. One blade hung up a couple of times which
increased the descent rate from 10.9ft/s to 17.6ft/s. He finally figured
out what was causing that and had a great flight on a C motor for a 48
second flight.

Bob had some adventures with Marilyn; a couple of well aged C11 motors blew
their nozzles out. No airframe damage, and he eventually managed a
couple of very nice flights on D12 motors.

Stefan and George showed us how they do things downtown with a sequence
of perfect flights on several different airframes. George, however, also
managed to help with the tree decorating project.

Tim landed one airframe in the wet grass often enough to soak the
cardboard body tube...

With the last flight just before 3:00, we packed things up and headed
for the barn. I remembered my boots this month, so at least my feet were
warm.

Thanks, as always, to everyone who helped set up and tear down the
flight line.

The Memorial Park schedule for the rest of the year is:

    * Mar 9  Saturday 12-3
    * Apr 14 Sunday    2-5
    * May 12 Sunday    2-5
    * Jun 9  Sunday    2-5