[Rockets] 05/09 Wilsonville Memorial Park Launch Report

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon May 17 12:14:58 PDT 2010

Falling on Mother's day again this year, our May launch was a quieter
event than in April, and I noticed several father's leaving early 'to
go get dinner ready'. We had a great time in any case; the weather
cooperated all afternoon with light winds and mostly clear skys. It
wasn't until we were packing up and looked west did we see the looming
clouds that kept the city wet for the rest of the following week.

This month brought the inaugural use of our new sound system, provide
graciously by Robert Krausert. A huge improvement over yelling, launch
announcements were easy to hear. Stefan donated a set of stakes and rope
out to mark the flight line which served to encourage people to keep
away from the launch area while the range was closed. Two simple efforts
to improve safety as the launch seems to be growing in popularity.

While the winds were light early in the afternoon, they picked up later
on, and Ed lost his Glider to a tree. I don't think we had any other
losses this month. Reviewing the launch cards, it seems like we've got
more people using streamers, which is certainly a good choice given our
soft field and the ring of trees.

We had a scout troop fly this month who brought quite an assortment of
rockets. Thanks for coming!

         Launches:           72
         Successful flights: 62
         Flyers:             36
         Rockets:            43
         Most Flights:       8 Ed McBride
         Biggest Motor:      E15-4 Nathan M

Thanks to Ed McBride, Stefan Jones and Tim Ryerse for coming out to help
set up this month. Stefan helped out all day at the RSO table too. Mary
Ann Ryerse brought cupcakes for the mothers in the crowd and somehow a
pack of chocolate cookies ended up on the LCO table at some point.

Hope everyone had as much fun as I did; here's our Wilsonville calendar
for the rest of the year:

 June 13, Sunday 2pm to 5pm
 August 8, Sunday 2pm to 5pm
 October 10, Sunday 2pm to 5pm