[Rockets] 03/13 Wilsonville Memorial Park Launch Report

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Fri Mar 19 17:11:44 PDT 2010

Thanks to the great efforts of Mike Ward and Robert Krausert for getting
the launch going this month! I couldn't be there at the start, so Mike
drove my minivan down to the park full of GSE and Robert showed up early
to help set things up.

What a great day though! It was a bit cloudy, but there wasn't any rain
and it seemed like we had a few sun breaks. We had a huge crowd this
month, Tim Ryerse said he had counted 60+ people at one point. Rack
after rack of rockets made us start to wonder if 6 rods was enough
anymore. If this keeps up, I'll need to invest in a larger launch
controller and some more PVC piping and drill chucks!

We usually set up in the middle of the ball fields, but this month the
city asked us to move to the western edge of the park. The last time we
were over there, the winds were out of the east, and we had quite a
number of rockets in the trees. This month, the winds were from the
west, driving rockets down the long axis of the park. Even still,
a few rockets made it all the way to the other side of the park.

And, the usual stats:

     Launches:           88
     Successful flights: 83
     Flyers:             42
     Rockets:            66
     Most Flights:        8     Abraham K
     Biggest Motor:       F20   Steve Tarr

Abraham came with two quarks and just kept loading motors and
flying. I'm amazed that he was able to find them after each flight. And,
of course, Steve was flying saucers with the biggest motors he could
safely use.

Thanks to Mary Anne Ryerse who sent along green-frosted cupcakes for
St. Patrick's day; she bakes a mean cupcake. And, thanks again to Mike
and Robert for setting up, and then to the huge crew who stayed to help
pick things up afterwards.

We're back next month, but with the warmer weather, we're moving to
Sunday April 11th from 2pm until 5pm. Come out and fly with us!