[Rockets] 02/13 Wilsonville Memorial Park Launch Report

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Feb 13 20:03:35 PST 2010

With heavy rain this morning, it seemed an unlikely day for a rocket
launch. However, with the exception of some light sprinkles for half an
hour or so, we enjoyed dry weather and almost no wind. The clouds were
uniform, but high enough not to be an issue for model rocket launching.

We were blessed this month with two events -- first, a school group
working on this year's TARC challenge launched several rockets
containing eggs using streamers for recovery. It was a real treat to
have them come this month; we're hoping to see more of them as they work
on tuning their rockets to meet the goals of the competition.

Secondly, John Thompson came out and flew a mess of rockets and offered
many of them up as prizes for the other fliers. We had quite the
competition to land rockets near a marked location; one winner landed
within 20' of the target!

Now for the usual stats:

	Launches:		58
        Successful flights:	49
        Flyers:	                26
        Rockets:                46
        Most Flights:           13 (John Thompson)
        Biggest Motor:          F52-8 Ian Welsh

As you can see, we had a lot of flights today, fortunately we had only a
few times when people had to wait for a place in the rack.

Thanks to all who came early to help set up the range, and a special
thanks to Mary Ann Ryerse for bringing cupcakes, colored red for
Valentine's day. Finally, thanks to everyone who stayed after the launch
was over to help tear down and carry stuff back to the cars.

We'll be back next month on Saturday, March 13th from 12 until 3. Come
join us then for another fine rocketing adventure!