[Rockets] OROC May 10 model launch report

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat May 30 10:58:16 PDT 2009

Our first 'summer' model launch was well attended this month, even
though it was scheduled on top of Mother's Day.

Thanks again to Tim Ryerse for coming out to help set up and run the
launch. All of the equipment worked great, although we missed having
Robert's PA system.

The usual statistics:

        Launches:           58
        Successful flights: 55
        Flyers: 	    12
        Rockets: 	    37
        Most Flights:       7 Tim Ryerse & Stephen Tarr
        Biggest Motor:      F39 Dale Coleman

The big highlight of the day was when Joe and Stephen lined up 5 saucers
for a drag race near the end of the day. Setting off five spinning and
spitting 'rockets' was quite the spectacle.

With the coming of warmer weather, we had to share the park with a
number of soccer games and other activities. We ended up closing the
range a couple of times to herd small children back to safety.

Calmer winds and a better launch location resulted in far fewer lost
rockets this month; the only victim was Stephen Tarr's glider which
ended up in the grove of trees in the middle of the field.

I've got a complete flight log here for those interested in precisely
what was flown. Thanks to everyone who attended, and I hope to see you
all at future rocket launches.

Future Memorial park model lauch schedule:

Sunday July 5th	2-5
Sunday August 9th 2-5
Sunday October 11th 2-5
Saturday November 14 12-3

I failed to reserve space in June early enough, so there won't be a
launch next month. In September, please come out to the Oregon Rocketry
launch down in Sheridan on the 12th and 13th.

keith.packard at intel.com