[Rockets] "Touch of the Irish Thunder Thunder" OROC launch report

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Mon Mar 16 13:04:51 PDT 2009

Memorial Park, in Wilsonville was wet and windy last Saturday, but we
managed to attract a few hardy souls out for our launch.

Thanks to Tim Ryerse for showing up at 11:00 time to help set up; we
managed to get a pop-up raised and most of the equipment set up before
the rain started in earnest. By 12:30, after launching a couple of
rockets (and losing one), we wondered briefly what the heck we were
doing out there...

Then several more people came out, and the rain let up a bit. After
that, we managed to launch quite a few more rockets, although I have to
admit that when 3:00 came, we packed up quickly and escaped to warmer
and drier places.

Launches: 33
Successful flights: 28
Flyers: 9
Rockets: 23
Most Flights: 9 Joe Bevier
Biggest Motor: F12-0 Joe Bevier

There were a few fun adventures -- Joe Bevier and Steve Tarr tried to
drag-race Acme Spitfires; Steve's launched, but Joe's igniter failed.
With a new igniter, Joe's Spitfire blew out the nozzle and sat on the
pad looking a lot like a road flare.

Tim Ryerse kept landing rockets on the park road, breaking several fins
off. Even I managed to break a fin with an unusually long '4 second'
ejection delay.

We recorded three 'first time fliers' this month; Carl Worth had brought
his three boys out a couple of months ago, before we realized that the
NAR program was still operating. So we handed out certificates this
month instead.

We're also on for April 12th and May 10th, both Sundays from 2:00pm
until 5:00pm. Baseball is starting up in Wilsonville, and the park is
occupied on Saturdays for months to come, so we've moved to Sundays.

Picture credits go to Tim Ryerse.

keith.packard at intel.com