[Rockets] Launch report, Memorial Park, February 14, 2009

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sat Feb 14 20:26:47 PST 2009

Thanks again to Robert Krausert and Tim Ryerse for bringing equipment
and helping setup and run this launch. Last months troubles with
Copperhead igniters was resolved by using a 12V lead-acid battery to
power the launch controller.

The usual statistics:

        Launches: 60
        Successful flights: 55
        Flyers: 18
        Most flights: John Lyngdal and Keith Packard (7)
        Rockets: 41
        Most flights: 6 (Red Phoenix, by Mike Ward)
        Biggest motor: F39-5 (Sprint II by Bob Welsh)

I've got a complete flight log if anyone needs more details.

We located the flight line in about the same position as in January, and
with light winds, we lost no rockets to the trees. Most flights ended on
the ball field, with a couple beyond the trees. Robert Krausert had one
flight that landed beyond a swamp; I didn't hear if he managed to
collect the rocket, but it was on the ground last we knew.

A big thanks to Tim Ryerse this month -- Tim bought a flight box and
filled it with goodies. He handed out raffle tickets to all of the
junior fliers and called out the winning number about mid-way through
the afternoon. The winner wore a huge grin and looked pleased to be
taking home his very own kit.

Tim's wife also sent him along with a couple dozen cupcakes decorated
for Valentine's day. I snagged a couple and enjoyed them immensely.
Thanks much for the treats! I hope her day was as much fun as ours
was :-)

We started out the afternoon on an exciting note -- Robert's first E9
flight went wild when the CD we were using as a blast deflector welded
itself to the bottom of the motor and went along with the rocket for a
ride. After gyrating a short distance off the ground, it headed for the
spectators, shook the CD free and finally spent itself in the grass.
Until this point, we have had no trouble with the CDs; they're
non-conductive and easily replaceable. I think we need to use some
clothespins to hold the rockets away from the CDs to avoid this in the
future.

Robert has been printing out custom flight cards for these launches, and
(as the data recorder), I have to say that his format is far better than
the NAR standard flight card format. Having a place to mark down the
flight status means we get some idea of how many problems we're having
and can work to fix those that are in our control.

The weather this month was also better; I felt warm the whole afternoon,
and by the end of the event we were looking at quite a bit of blue
overhead. Let's hope next month is even warmer!

Successes:
	PA system/launch control setup.
	Even more tables
	Tim's Pop-up, as it looked like it might sprinkle
	No treed rockets!
	Keith's new controller
	12V lead-acid battery (portable jump-start system)

Problems:
	Not enough custom flight cards
	CD used as a blast shield
	Keith's children fear the cold