[Rockets] May 10th 2-5; OROC Astronaut's Birthday Model Launch @ Memorial Park Wilsonville

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed Apr 29 20:10:03 PDT 2009

Celebrating two astronaut birthdays!
Lisa Nowak and Ellen Ochoa were both born on May 10.

Oregon Rocketry is again hosting a Model Rocket Launch event at Memorial
Park in Wilsonville, Oregon on May 10th, 2009. Setup begins at 1:00pm,
range is open for flights between 2:00pm and 5:00pm

Class 1 rockets under the new FAR101 unmanned rocket rules include; (1)
Uses no more than 125 grams (4.4 ounces) of propellant; (2) Uses a
slow-burning propellant; (3) Is made of paper, wood, or breakable
plastic; (4) Contains no substantial metal parts; and (5) Weighs no more
than 1,500 grams (53 ounces), including the propellant. A through G
motors are welcome, and even some H motors. You must however stay below
our altitude limits. Conditions of the site mostly limit us to 1000 feet
or cloud deck. Clear conditions and zero/low wind may permit higher
fights. Ask the LCO if restrictions apply and approval for flight.

Join us. Bring the family. Bring some rockets and have a great time
flying. No RSVP necessary, just show up. When you arrive at the park,
turn to the left and follow the road into the South East section of the
field.

Wilsonville Memorial Park
8100 SW Wilsonville Rd.
Wilsonville, OR 97070

Getting strange looks from the family for wanting to fly rockets on
Mother's day? Take mom out for dinner after the event. Or take her home
after the event for a great barbeque. What a great day, BP / AP in the
early afternoon and then a great dinner afterward.

Fliers;
Event time is 2:00pm - 5:00pm; all NAR rules apply, plus any additional
rules / restrictions for this site. A fliers meeting right at noon, so
everyone is on the same page for rules / restrictions. LCO tables are
not for prep, please use the available tables in the prep area. This is
a sanctioned launch event by National Association of Rocketry through
NAR section 555 OREO (Steve Tarr). Come prepared for cold weather and
wear boots/shoes that will keep feet warm and dry.

Tim Ryerse and OROC have put together a special raffle prize for any
junior flyers.

Support staff;
We are planning to arrive by 1:00pm to scope out parking and field
preference. We'll have a six rod launch pad (has 1/8, 3/8, and 1/4"
rods), and two LCO tables, flight line stakes, and a couple of launch
controllers. So no OROC GSE is needed for this event. We need extra
tables for the prep area. We'll hold a fliers meeting right at noon, so
everyone is on the same page for rules / restrictions.

We've put in a special request for decent weather this month; after our
damp March event, and our blow-out April event, surely May will bring
calm winds and clear skies.

keith.packard at intel.com