[Nickle] Fwd: nickle buffer overflow in Ubuntu 11.04

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Wed May 25 20:49:20 PDT 2011

On Wed, 25 May 2011 15:18:05 -0700, Bart Massey <bart at cs.pdx.edu> wrote:
> Sarah, glad you're still using Nickle! I've cc-ed this email to
> Keithp, who is more likely to be able to quickly fix it than am I, and
> to the nickle at nickle.org email list, which we are currently using
> primarily as a bug tracker.
>
> We should probably move the whole thing to Github at this
> point---Keithp? It would get us a proper bug tracker, among other
> things.

A bug tracker would be nice, of course, there aren't very many bugs
reported these days :-)

> I use nickle, mainly for calculating bit masks, nothing fancy.  In
> Ubuntu 11.04, it dies when I invoke it with no arguments, due to a
> buffer overflow detection.  Anyone else I should contact/websites to
> file a bug at?

Looks like something in ubuntu's libc doesn't like how nickle manages
memory. To fix this, you'll need to compile nickle from source so you
get debugging symbols, then use gdb to get a more credible stack trace.

keith.packard at intel.com