[Nickle] Artificial distinction between import and autoimport

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Feb 6 11:33:09 PST 2008

On Wed, 06 Feb 2008 10:42:31 -0800, Bart Massey wrote:
> Let me try one more time to explain what's going on
> currently, with some use cases, and see if I can make sense
> of the proposed new world:

Thanks for the detailed explanation of the current workings. That's
helpful.

> New: import <name>
>   Becomes an alias for autoimport <name>?

> It appears to me that this change is a dangerous one.

I don't follow what about the change introduces danger. There are no
new semantics being introduced, but simply new names for existing
semantics.

Or are you just saying that the semantics of the current "autoimport"
are dangerous and that people would be wise not to use it? If so, then
whatever the imagined security problem is there, it should be fixed.

For example, does nickle search the current working directory by
default for things to autoload? I could definitely see that being a
problem, (as opposed to searching the directory in which the script
lives, or the system directory, or directories explicitly listed on
some search path).

-Carl