[Nickle] Artificial distinction between import and autoimport

Carl Worth cworth at cworth.org
Wed Feb 6 08:58:53 PST 2008

On Sat, 02 Feb 2008 23:56:13 -0800, Bart Massey wrote:
>                              But I'm not getting what you
> propose to have your revised import or load do if their
> namespace target already exists.  Should they replace the
> namespace, or stop?  Both behaviors have sensible use cases
> I described previously, so I'm not sure how to make it "just
> work".  Perhaps you want load and import to behave
> differently at the command prompt vs in a loaded file?

I think I'd recommend dumping the "auto" prefix universally and
recommend that programs use "import" and make that do the right thing
there.

As for the case of the command prompt where someone wants to reimport
something that's being hacked on currently---that's the special case
so it should get the more specialized name, and "reimport" seems to
fit quite well.

If one wanted to do magic where "import" would actually mean
"reimport" at the prompt, then that would be possible, (but it sounds
a bit too DWIM for my tastes).

-Carl