[Nickle] nickle: Branch 'master' - 3 commits

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Tue Oct 2 12:37:13 PDT 2007

On Tue, 2007-10-02 at 11:43 -0700, Bart Massey wrote:
> It should be easy to add finalizer support to your
> mark-sweep GC, and then just close the file in the finalizer
> when it becomes unreferenced.  This would be the traditional
> solution, I think.  Am I missing something?

It's not the closing of the file that's the trouble here. That's all in
place and works fine. The trouble is that the buffers holding unflushed
data were getting freed before the file object finalizer was invoked.
Explicitly managing these buffers means the GC won't find these
unreferenced buffers and toss them.

One possible solution would be to have the buffers hooked to the file
and have their finalizer also try to flush and free them. Hmm. That
might work.

keith.packard at intel.com