[Nickle] Mutual tail-recursion

Keith Packard keithp at keithp.com
Sun Feb 19 14:06:39 PST 2006

On Sun, 2006-02-19 at 00:33 -0500, Michel Salim wrote:

> My questions are, then:
> - Is tail optimization of mutually-recursive functions planned?

Planned and implemented; you were hit by run-time typechecking required
by the use of poly values for oddp and evenp and the declared return
types for their associated functions. If you use the form suggested by
bart, or if you declare matching types for oddp and evenp, you get the
memory usage pattern shown by bart.

> Also, I'll probably propose Nickle for submission to Fedora Extras
> (surprisingly, the original RPM spec was written by none other than
> Mike Harris, Red Hat's X developer). Is there any runtime dependency
> on the header files? I'm currently splitting the header files to a
> -devel package.

Sensible. These are used by external FFI libraries, like the one for the
cairo graphics library, and shouldn't ever be needed by 'normal' users
of nickle.

keith.packard at intel.com