[Nickle] Pragma to enforce unique variable names in each scope?

David M Guy guyd at cs.pdx.edu
Thu Nov 13 12:28:46 PST 2003

I agree that a special keyword for each variable name that you want to be
unique in each scope seems unwieldy, especially since an anal programmer
like myself would feel compelled to designate EVERY variable as 'unique'.

As for the 'i'-variable in this 'for' loop example, I think most
programmers (especially C-programmers) will habitually use the initializer
expression of the 'for' loop to reset the variable. If they don't, they
either forgot (not very likely) or they intended to use the previous value
as the initial value (far more likely).  I don't see how it could be a
good idea to redeclare your loop variable every time you use a 'for' loop
(unless you use the C++ version which allows you to declare a loop-scoped
variable in the initializer expression).

Are there other situations where this would be useful for other than
globally scoped variables?

 - David Guy