[Nickle]Sequencing of expressions with side effects

Bart Massey nickle@nickle.org
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 13:28:51 -0700

In message <E17X5kf-0005dX-00@bart.cs.pdx.edu> I wrote:
> 1. The meaning of an expression should never be changed by
>    explicitly putting in the parentheses implied by
>    precedence and associativity.
>
> 2. Expression evaluation should honor explicit parentheses:
>    parenthesized subexpressions should always be evaluated
>    before their containing expressions.

The second part of number 2, is of course, bogus.  What I
really mean is something more like

2. Expression evaluation should honor explicit parentheses:
   parenthesized subexpressions should always be fully
   evaluated (including side effects) before their value is
   used.

And now that I think about it, Keith is right as well: the
question of order-of-evaluation is somewhat orthogonal to
the precedence + associativity question.  Sigh.  I'm
confused.  Give me a bit to sort this all out.

	Bart