[Nickle]crashing nickle in <100 bytes

Carl Worth nickle@nickle.org
Tue, 23 Jul 2002 18:18:39 +0000

While Keith and Bart try to solve my last riddle, here's a new one:

	typedef list;
	typedef struct {
	    list next;
	} list;
	list burn = {next = 0};
	crash = burn;

The assignment to burn yields the following legitimate and polite
error message, (notice the missing '*' in the struct definition):

	Incompatible types 'list', 'union { int; *poly; }' in struct initializer

The assignment to crash yields the following not-so-polite message:

	Segmentation fault

-Carl

PS. Would it make sense to have a literal other than 0 to represent a
null pointer? I've got a code segment hear that I think would be
useful with a function accepting a poly that could legitimately be an
integer, (such as 0), or a null pointer. Anything I can do for that
already?

--
Carl Worth
USC Information Sciences Institute                 cworth@east.isi.edu