[Nickle]Array comprehension syntax

Keith Packard nickle@nickle.org
Sat, 03 Aug 2002 20:18:33 -0700

Array comprehensions are lambdas evaluated to initialize an array; they're
passed the index of the desired element and compute that element.
Essentially, they're a shorthand notation for:

    int[*,*]	a = [2, 2];

    for (int i = 0; i < 2; i++)
	for (int j = 0; j < 2; j++)
	    a[i,j] = lambda (i,j);

I've got the underlying code all built for compiling and executing these,
but I'm a bit stuck on the syntax.  My current (lame) syntax looks like:

    int[*,*]	a = [2, 2] { = int func (int i, int j) { return i*j; } };

Actually, any expression which evaluates to a function can be used inside
the initializer:

    int c (int i, int j) { return i * j; }

    int[*,*]	a = [2, 2] { = c };

I'm really not excited about this syntax and am looking for suggestions.
However, even with this weak syntax, compose looks a lot nicer:

    poly (poly...) compose (poly f, poly g) {
        return poly func (poly args...) {
            poly(int) pick(int start) {
                return func (int i) { return args[start+i]; };
            }
            return f (g ((poly[func_args(g)]) { = pick(0) } ...),
                      (poly[func_args(f)-1]) { = pick(func_args(g)) }...);
        };
    }

The only problem is that the arguments 'f' and 'g' aren't statically
typechecked to accept only functions.  We don't have any syntax for
a function which takes an arbitrary number of arguments, all we have
is syntax for a function which takes a variable number of arguments;
the problem is that:

	poly(poly...) a = poly func (poly g) { return g; }

is currently a type error (Incompatible types 'poly(poly ...)', 'poly(g)')

We need a formal spec for our current type system...

-keith