[Nickle]A usable calculator again

Barton C Massey bart@cs.pdx.edu
Wed, 28 Feb 2001 01:52:21 -0800

Nice job!

I've checked in the autoconf etc. changes to get nickle to
load DATADIR/nickle/builtin.5c by default.  Note that this
means that running nickle out of the source directory will
load the library from the standard place rather than out of
the source directory: this is arguable, but the alternative
is a giant pain to implement given the current setup.

I import the math namespace in builtin.5c: if this isn't
what people want, we should talk.  (It's what *I* want,
anyway.)

I'll try to update the examples RSN to accomodate various
changes (notably Keith's new .5c extension :-).

Keith: sin(0) seems to infinite-loop for me.  Also,
shouldn't sin(pi) and friends be 0 given the default
precisions of sin() and pi?

I've seen the convention around (and like it) that says that
log == log_base_10, lg == log_base_2, ln == log_base_e.  The
downside is that C math library users will get horribly
surprised.  Perhaps log10(), lg(), ln(), and make log() take
two arguments (base + target)?  Then C users would get
whined at...  Or is everybody happy with log == log_base_e?

		Bart