[Fontconfig] Mozilla 1.3 and fcpackage 2.1

Albert Chin fontconfig@fontconfig.org
Sat, 22 Mar 2003 07:52:07 -0600

On Fri, Mar 21, 2003 at 03:11:27PM -0800, Keith Packard wrote:

> Around 15 o'clock on Mar 21, Albert Chin wrote:
>
> > It SEGVs on startup because I haven't run fc-cache. Will this occur in
> > fcpackage-2.2 as well?
>
> It shouldn't; we've found and fixed some significant bugs in cache file
> management.  If you can, it would be help to give the current fontconfig
> release candidate a try and see if it does indeed solve the problem.  That
> is compatible with the rest of the 2.1 parts of fcpackage.

The latest fontconfig from CVS works on Solaris 9 and Redhat Linux
7.1. However, there is something odd going on. I've placed snapshots
of the Mozilla startup for both these platforms at:
  ftp://ftp.thewrittenword.com/outgoing/fc
Before taking the screenshot, I did the following:
  $ rm -rf ~/.mozilla .fonts.cache-1
  $ mozilla-1.3.1

What's also odd is that after starting Mozilla for Solaris 9, I quit,
removed ~/.mozilla, kept .fonts.cache-1, and restarted it. I got the
following
  ftp://ftp.thewrittenword.com/outgoing/fc/mozilla-sol9.png.with.fonts-cache
Why is mozilla-sol9.png.with.fonts-cache different than
mozilla-sol9.png?

I've also uploaded snapshots of:
  mozilla-hpux11i.png		# Looks good
  mozilla-irix65.png		# Looks like Solaris 9
  mozilla-tru64-5.png

Why the odd font for IRIX 6.5 and Solaris 9? I also ran some Qt
programs linked against the new fontconfig and get the same font
behaviour.

--
albert chin (china@thewrittenword.com)