[Fontconfig] Xft/fontconfig questions

Dmitry Karasik dmitry at karasik.eu.org
Fri Jun 20 11:47:40 PDT 2003

Hello,

I need guidelines for programming Xft/fontconfig, and would like
to ask if someone knows answers to the following questions:

- The font/glyph data information, located in XftFont/XGlyphInfo
is somewhat cryptic. For example, what are x,y,xOff,yOff fields for?
I guess these are related to lbearing/rbearing etc in XCharStruct,
but how?

- I need to access the font/glyph information like underline position,
underline thickness, average character width, etc. Under the core
protocol, these could be read via the corresponding font properties -
XA_UNDERLINE_POSITION,XA_UNDERLINE_THICKNESS, and so on. How would I
access these data from under Xft?

- How does UCS4 endianness work for Xft? For example, if I try to
output the glyphs, corresponding to the font charset, the glyphs are
not shown up unless I reverse the byte order. Do I have to always
reverse the byte order or only for little-endian machines?

--
Thanks,
	Dmitry

--- www.karasik.eu.org ---

Life ain't fair, but the root password helps.
                      - BOFH