[Fontconfig] fontconfig-config?

Olivier Chapuis olivier.chapuis at free.fr
Fri Jun 13 09:45:54 PDT 2003

On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 10:26:49PM -0400, Ambrose Li wrote:
> On Thu, Jun 12, 2003 at 05:29:08PM -0500, Keith Packard wrote:
> >
> > I switched the configuration from autoconf to automake and didn't bother
> > to bring that app forwards.  I prefer 'pkg-config', but if you think
> > fontconfig-config is necessary, please feel free to submit a working
> > version to the bugzilla...
>
> It seems that fontconfig-config can be created quite trivially as a
> wrapper of pkg-config; patch to make a working fontconfig-config
> follows (patch is against the fontconfig-config as shipped with
> XFree86 4.3.0).

The problem with this solution (fontconfig-config as a warper
of pkg-config) is that:

1 - You need pkg-config and so the compilation of a package which can
use fontconfig needs pkg-config: you add a dependence.
2 - If fontconfig is installed at a no standard place (vs pkg-config)
you should set the PKG_CONFIG_PATH env variable. In the other hand
if you have installed fontconfig in a no standard place you must
have set your PATH accordingly and fontconfig-config is found.

By the way, I prefer fontconfig-config than 'pkg-config'. For me
'pkg-config' add only complication for low level library.

Regards, Olivier