[Fontconfig] FAQ update, accessibility comments

John Ellson ellson at research.att.com
Thu Jul 24 14:48:00 PDT 2003

Martin,

I recently purchased a LCD panel with 1280x1024 resolution and was
also unable to get text to look clear until I upgraded my graphics card
to one that could handle lots of colors at that resolution.

I was finding that XFree86 (or the config programs) were silently
degrading the resolution to 1152x864 which was the most that the available
graphics memory could handle.    At that resolution I think the pixel
positions
were not where the subpixel code was expecting them and I would get
varying width vertical glyphs across the page, and various  color leakages
depending on the amount of hinting selected.

All these problems went away with the new graphics card at the right
resolution.
Text is now spectacular.

BTW.  I also have astigmatism, but I don't find modifications to
antialiasing
make any difference to the (lack of) focus from my bad eye.
Antialising does not
change your ability to focus, it just affects the smoothness of the
color transitions on
the screen.

John