[Fontconfig] mozilla-firebird: western fonts work, cyrillic - no work

Alexander Farber Alexander.Farber at t-online.de
Sat Jul 19 23:36:14 PDT 2003

Hi,

I'm using OpenBSD -current with XFree 4.3.0 on a PC.

Could anyone please give me a hint how to make the
mozilla-firebird-0.6 from the ports display the cyrillic
pages correctly. At the moment it only displays the
western fonts (anti-aliased true type fonts from the
msttcorefonts-1.2 port) - pls. see the screenshot at:
http://home.t-online.de/home/Alexander.Farber/OpenBSD/kde-obsd.gif

Empty boxes are displayed instead of cyrillic characters, even
though the installed true type fonts seem to support russian:

newhope:fonts {510} fc-list :lang=ru | grep -i Regular | sort
Andale Mono:style=Regular
Arial Black:style=Regular
Arial:style=Regular
Comic Sans MS:style=Regular
Courier New:style=Regular
Georgia:style=Regular
Impact:style=Regular
Times New Roman:style=Regular
Trebuchet MS:style=Regular
Verdana:style=Regular

I guess I have to add something with "lang" to the fonts.conf,
but can't figure out the exact syntax out of the doc page
http://fontconfig.org/fontconfig-user.html yet. I don't use
~/.fonts.conf or /etc/fonts/local.conf and the fonts.conf
is the unmodified OpenBSD version:

http://www.openbsd.org/cgi-bin/cvsweb/~checkout~/XF4/xc/lib/fontconfig/fonts.conf.in?rev=1.3

My config and log files are:
http://home.t-online.de/home/Alexander.Farber/OpenBSD/XF86Config.newhope
http://home.t-online.de/home/Alexander.Farber/OpenBSD/XFree86.0.log

And here is a chunk of "env FC_DEBUG=1 mozilla-firebird":

FC_DEBUG=1
Sort Pattern 18 of 32
        antialias: FcTrue
        autohint: FcFalse
        dpi: 74.9556
        family: "helvetica" "helvetica" "Luxi Sans" "serif"
        fontversion: 2147483647
        globaladvance: FcTrue
        hinting: FcTrue
        lang: "en"