[Fontconfig] Regularizing contains operator semantics

Owen Taylor otaylor at redhat.com
Sat Jul 12 15:46:15 PDT 2003

On Sat, 2003-07-12 at 12:14, Keith Packard wrote:
> Around 11 o'clock on Jul 12, Owen Taylor wrote:
>
> >  when a key is referred
> > to as having the value "foo,bar", there are three possible
> > interpretations of that:
> >
> >  * A string containing an embedded comma
> >  * A pattern with multiple values with the same key
> >  * A pattern with a single value with a composite type (LangSet)
>
> and the winner is 2) -- foo,bar represents a pattern with multiple values
> for the same key.  LangSets and Charsets were designed to be a more compact
> representation of this idea for those specific kinds of values; I think
> there are some places where the fact that they are stored in a single
> entry are exposed to the user and I'd like to close those holes.

What about in <match><test>? What does

 <string>times,courier</string>
 <lang>en,de</lang>

Mean there? If it means "an embedded comma" then I would suggest
that fontconfig should probably print a warning like:

 "Interpreting ',' as part of value"

because otherwise, people will definitely get confused.

(the docs say currently "These elements hold a single value of the
indicated type.")

Regards,
						Owen