[Fontconfig] KDE 3.1.2 does not like fontconfig served bitmap X font ?

gary ng garyng2000 at yahoo.com
Tue Jul 8 05:37:51 PDT 2003

Hi,

I have installed a debian woody system using daniel
stone's XFree86 4.3 backport + KDE 3.1.2. However, if
I tell fontconfig to include the bitmap
fonts(/usr/X11R6/lib/X11/fonts), KDE just got confused
and when it starts, it cannot retrieve any of the
fonts so all dialogs, menus went wrong(it just display
a very long underscore for any of the text). This
happens to every KDE application. If I tell fontconfig
to juse use scalable fonts, everything is back to
normal.

Have anyone seen this problem or have a clue of where
I should check ? I have tried to report to KDE team
but they said since woody does not have xfree86 4.3,
they don't even consider it a bug and insist it must
be either X(xft) or fontconfig being the problem :-(

I have no problem using this configuration(fontconfig
serve X bitmap fonts) with Mozilla 1.3 on the same
setup.

Please CC if possible as I don't subscribe this list.

thanks and regards,

gary