[Fontconfig] problems with sub-pixel rendering

Felix Breuer felix at fbreuer.de
Thu Jul 3 22:24:58 PDT 2003

Hello!

I have trouble getting sub-pixel rendering to work on my Dell Notebook.
Letters have colorful edges with most fonts but not with all.

I tried adding this entry to /etc/fonts/fonts.config

<match target="font">
    <edit name="rgba" mode="assign">
        <const>bgr</const>
    </edit>
</match>

but xdpyinfo -ext RENDER | grep sub-pixel still produces

Screen 0 (sub-pixel order Horizontal RGB)

and the fonts look just as ugly as before.

The fonts that display this behavior are e.g. Swiss 721, Duncan,
Caligula, Brushstroke, Agate,... I am using XFree 4.3.0 and Xft 2.0.1
and fontconfig 2.1.94.

Thanks for any ideas,
Felix