[Fontconfig] Doc for fonts.conf? ("no fonts found error")

Laurent Moussault fontconfig@fontconfig.org
Sun, 23 Feb 2003 10:39:42 +0100

Hello,

Is there any documentation for 'fonts.conf' and about how fontconfig
finds font in the specified directories (e.g. what extension does it
recongize, does it look into subdirs...)?

Or, is there a way to know what fonts the fontconfig library find
(what is the algorithm used to browsed the directories specified in
fonts.conf)?

I just tried to install fcpackage.2_1.tar.gz (I tried the 2.0 version
as well), and then GTK+ 2.2.1.  But when I run an application compiled
with GTK (e.g. ROX-Filer), it crash with this error:

"No fonts found; this probably means that the fontconfig
library is not correctly configured. You may need to
edit the fonts.conf configuration file. More information
about fontconfig can be found in the fontconfig(3) manual
page and on http://fontconfig.org"

It's not clear wether it is an error from the fontconfig library,
Pango, GTK or the application (and there is nothing in the manpage)...
The problem is, my environment is pretty standard (Slackware 8.0), and
I tried many_many_ different paths in fonts.conf, with no success...

regards,

PS: anyway, this is great to finally have a well-designed font
mechanism on unix!

--
Laurent Moussault